In my review of Slumdog Millionaire, I made passing remarks about its music. Here is a little more detailed review:
- O Saya: Interesting. Although too much of Euro junk mixed.
- Riots: Give me Bombay theme any day. Forget haunting, this hardly even registers.
- Mausam and Escape: Just when you enjoy the sitar (is it?), the Euro-junk kicks in. Has energy though, just like O Saya. As far as theme music goes, this is pretty much up there.
- Paper Planes: Pure Euro Junk.
- Paper Planes (DFA Remix): As if pure Euro-junk wasn’t enough, mixed with more pure Euro Junk.
- Ringa Ringa: Choli ke peeche genre marketed to westerners by putting it on adrenaline.
- Liquid Dance: Best of the lot. The mixing doesn’t seem to smother it into the same pulp like some others. Although that “heyyyy” cry once too many irritates. Would have been so much interesting with a little less screwing around with it. Still one of the best in the soundtrack
- Latika’s theme: Serves the purpose. Pure utilitarian.
- Aaj Ki Raat: No comments.
- Millionaire: Forgettable
- Gangsta Blues: This has “I can do this shit too” written all over it.
- Dreams on fire: Soulless soul
- Jai Ho: Has energy. Utilitarian. Bolly-music fruit-plate served on a with some European seasoning.
Final score? Well 2.5/5. That’s being generous. Especially considering Dev D music review is pending (go check that out instead!)